On a XenServer machine that is already running, you may want to add another hard drive. After adding the hard drive you then notice it is not detected by the system.
To ensure that the new internal hard drive is available as storage repository, complete the following procedure:
- Install a hard drive on a XenServer.
- Run the following command from the command line interface to display the installed disks:
- Search for the new hard drive in the list. It will be the last on the list and it is indicated as /dev/sdc. c is the position it is in. Generally, it starts at a, and the list continues. You can verify the device path using the SCSI ID in /dev/disk/by-id directory by listing out the contents
- Run the following command from the command line interface:
xe sr-create name-label=<Name of Storage> shared=false device-config:device=<Path of the Storage device> type=lvm content-type=user
– Name of Storage is the name of the Storage Repository you require
– Path of the Storage device is the path as noted in the preceding tasks, /dev/sdc)
Now, the installed hard drive is visible in the XenServer Console.